Friday

Teaching - How it really looks

So, I spent about 4 and half months as a substitute teacher this year. It's a very interesting experience, and one that was a real eye opener for me.

I am SO glad I did it! If not, I would have always wondering ... what if?
What if I would have been a great teacher?
What if that was my life's calling?
What if ... ?

However, now that I've gone through it ... I can always look back on that experience, and know that I gave it a shot.

Although I'm no longer doing it, I think I would have been a pretty good teacher. Even in my short time with some of those kids, I connected with a couple of them. Some were good connections, and others were not so good.


Christy and I recently caught a very real depiction of teaching as a career. It comes from a movie called 'Chalk'. If you've ever wanted to get an inside peak into the life of teaching, this show portrays what I saw pretty accurately.

Especially, watch the apathetic looks on all of the kids. Yep - that's absolutely accurate. The silence of the kids wasn't something I experienced very often though.


But, overall, I think this movie gives a clear vision of what teaching was like for me. Especially notice the feeling of very little redemption in the end of the movie. That pretty much summed it up for me too. I think it would have gotten better with more experience, but is it really worth it? I'm not sure?


For me, I think my passions are better suited with other things. So I opted to go elsewhere.

Alright, that's enough rhetoric from me. You can check it out yourself here.


Talk soon!
Al

No comments: